Thursday 19 June 2008

Sketch-book stuff

Hiya, I've been playing around with painting the designs on chinese dishes for concepts for the film, I have only been reading them at the moment, I haven't started any of my own stuff for how the film could look, just using that style to help get an idea of whee the style of the film could be taken.















Also from doing various readings of chinese figure paintings I have some initial character development for you to look at. I've been simplifying the forms and looking for reocuring themes such as rounded faces, curvy lines, long necks etc. Here's a reading of mine and a cartoonified example next to it plus more character development for the girl.

3 comments:

Keith said...

Oh and I've also bought the art of Kung fu Panda,when it arrives I'll be doing soo many drawings from that book, worth watching the film as well it's good and the visual style is sooo smexy :P

Ben Ho said...

Wowie! Good work there matey. I like the idea about the porcelain. I'll have a look at how we can tie it in with the opening establishing shot.
The characters are looking good, especially the simplified version. The face is possibly too round though. Perhaps try a more pointy chin.
For the line clean up I was thinking of using different pencils to mimic that sort of varietion between a thin line and a thick line u can get from a brush. But a brushpen may also work. What do u guys reckon?

Keith said...

Cool, will mess around with shapes and size variations today.
Maybe we could use brush pen for clean up, it would take a long time to do, but would look awesome and this year the film will only be around 2 minutes so we won't have the same troubles the films had this year, like Geof's being 3:30 or Favelados from year before that being 4 minutes. I was also thinking for the fast movement shots we could play around,( maybe do some tests at beginning of term), withspraying the ink or having the line disperse...I'll upload an example so you have a better idea of what I mean.