Wednesday 17 September 2008

Ideas for Character Style


I have some interesting ideas that Ive seen being done and thought about. Matt, who I now live with (oh shit!), and a few other animators are working on an animated commercial this summer and Ive just been shown some interesting techniques they are using for the colouring of the animated linework. What I was shown was a simple character design being painted with a new feature on Photoshop CS3. So it was an animation that has a painted quality look to them. Matt was pretty damn excited by this and I was too! Because of the simplicity of the character design he was able to paint them quite quickly. Since our character design is a little bit more complex I thought we could use ToonBoom to lay down the basic colours and importing them into Photoshop CS3 to add in highlights and textures.
This could be a bit of a lengthy process but we could also save time as we probably wont need to draw the shadow layers on. You can see above a little test I just did. If it works out like I think it could, that is how the animation could look.
Anddddddddd... heres a sneak peak of what how the layout is looking...

4 comments:

Tegan Jephcott said...

I think that's a good look for the colouring, toonboom looks a bit blocky when it's by itself I think... Unless some people have mad toonboom skills... But it looks good!

Ben Ho said...

You can add textures and gradients on Toonboom. I havent tried it out much so i dont know how it would look in the end.
Ah crap, I forgot to mention that the Lynex machines dont have Photoshop CS3 cause it cant run them (they must be on an emulator). Dunno what we'll do about that but if we can find a way of getting it to work then we can try this out.
If not......... shit! :P

Taaj said...

heaaaaaaaaaay umm maybe we shouldn't have lines in the background just a darker couler of the most used couler in the background that may help take focus of it when the characters are dropped in or if u wont the lines you could turn the opacity down like you did in one of your couler test things if you dont no what i mean i will tell you when i see you but good work though.

Ben Ho said...

I think I get your meaning ToeJam. I had a play around with blurring parts of the painting to create a kind of 'depth of field' look. But I'll put that on when we got some characters for the scenes so we can build the layouts around them (by selectively blurring elements that are too distracting).