Thursday 2 October 2008

Painting Lesson With Uncle Ben Part 3


Want to know another trick? Im just spoiling you guys. Dont worry if you think theres too much to learn already, remember, I was a lil noob too! With more experience, you'll start to learn things like this for yourself. Anyway, remember that thing I said about separating surfaces like on a cube so they become more readable? Well I thought I needed more of that for part of the panels on the walls since there are a few bumps and separation going on. I already changed the levels (value) of the panels a slight tad. But I decided to also change the colour slightly too. First, we need to select the panel so we can alter it without affecting the other parts of the painting. The lasso tool is used for this. You can find it on your toolbar on the side (or just by pressing 'l' on the keyboard). If you click and hold the lasso icon on the toolbar you can change the type of lasso tool to use: freehand lasso, polygon lasso or magnetic lasso. Any would do, use it to draw a selection arund the panel like I have done in the image. Then to change the colour, we use colour balance which can be accessed via the top toolbar but I just hit ctl+b. You should get a window that lets you slide a few bars around. If you slide the slider towards red, the selection will receive more red, or if you slide it towards blue it will become more bluer. Be wary of the 'temperature' of the painting. Colours has a warm or cool look to them and you need a decent balance of the two in a painting. If the reds are all looking bright and hot, we should probably cool parts of it down using the colour balance and adding more blues, magenta or cyan.


Heres the almost completed piece with a texture applied on top of it.


How do I apply texture? Bring in an image you want as the texture. Put this image on top of the other layers and set the blend option to 'Overlay' like I have. You can play with the other options too but it seems overlay is the commonly used method. But sometimes you may not want the colour this texture brings in. Well if thats the case just adjust the hue+saturation. Pull the slider for the saturation down to make it grayscale and therefore not affecting the colour of the image. And you may want to alter the levels too by pulling the triangles around until the value of the texture s the same as the value of the painting. This was the texture doesnt affect the values. Makes sense ya? Then you can pull the opacity of the layer down too and maybe erase parts of it where there shouldnt be any textures. I also add a little trick in there too. By going to Edit > Transform > Skew I can change the perspective of the texture so it doesnt look too flat when I apply it.


So thats all done. I leave the painting for a bit and then realized that somethings missing. The distance, and the sky seems a bit empty so I add in a few big buildings in the distance and more trees behind the wall on the left. And I think we are done :)
Hope that was useful and maybe you can go on to put me out of a business now hahahahha!..... why am I laughing?

No comments: